Breast reduction or a reduction mammoplasty is a surgical procedure that reduces the size of the bust by removing the excess breast tissue and skin.
This surgery is for those who feel conscious of having an above-average-sized bust, which may result from pregnancy, aging, or certain health concerns. A large bust can also result in many physical problems, including neck, shoulder, and spine pain.
This procedure can remove the excess tissue weighing down your breasts and sculpt them to provide a more flattering, curvier shape. You can also request breast lift surgery in addition to your reduction mammoplasty to correct a drooping breast shape.
Do you desire a bust proportional to your body? Schedule an evaluation appointment with us and we will guide you on the best breast reduction treatment according to your needs and provide you with a reasonable quote accordingly.
- Certain surgeries may require a repositioning of the nipples and augmentation of the areola size to give your breasts a more harmonious appearance.
Disproportionate breasts can lead to physical discomfort, limit your mobility and take a jab at your self-esteem. Concerns include skin chafing from bra straps, neck and back pain, posture problems, difficulty exercising, dermatitis under the bust, and more.
Before you go for surgery, you should understand that larger busts are natural. The excessive size occurs due to hormonal changes as women develop their breasts during puberty. Other factors such as pregnancy, lactation, obesity, and certain health concerns can lead to an increase in breast tissue. Genetic factors may also contribute to their growth in a condition known as gigantomastia or “breast hypertrophy.”
How Mammoplasty Works Step-By-Step?
Before your surgery, Dr. Juan David Londoño will call you in for an evaluation appointment where we will discuss your unique case and determine the best approach to your procedure. We will also make strategic measurements to identify how much excess skin and tissue volume needs removal.
Our procedures are performed in the state-of-the-art operating rooms at the El Tesoro Medical Tower in Medellín. Prior to surgery, patients are administered local or general anesthesia. Each surgery can take roughly 3 hours, depending on the extent of work required.
For the surgery, incisions are made around the areola and under the breast. Next, excess skin and tissue are removed and the breasts are contoured to give them a firm appearance.
If there is excess adipose tissue to be removed, we may use liposuction combined with a breast reduction procedure. Post-surgery, a probe may be placed under each arm to remove excess blood or other fluids.
How Long Will The Post-Op Take?
- Initial recovery after surgery usually takes 5 days. Dr. Londoño will prescribe you medication to help alleviate any pain you may experience during this time.
- Following surgery, you may feel tenderness and pain in the breasts.
- You may notice swelling and bruising at the surgery site.
- For the first two weeks, you should avoid any strenuous physical activity.
- Avoid wearing underwire bras for at least a month following surgery.
- It will take around 6 months for the final results of your surgery to appear.
- There may be slight scarring after surgery which fades away over time.
- Our surgeons will continue assisting with your full recovery even after the stitches are removed.
Benefits of Breast Reduction
There are many advantages that breast reduction offers to women who have breasts that are disproportionate to their bodies. This surgery will reduce the physical discomfort and pain caused by larger breasts.
Note that the while the results of reduction mammography can be permanent, the breasts may re-enlarge if you gain excessive weight or become pregnant.
The costs for breast reduction surgery in Medellín will vary according to your unique case. To determine the cost of your surgery and the most effective method to employ, reach out to us and schedule an evaluation appointment.